FEELING OVERWHELMED WITH INSPIRATION

FEELING OVERWHELMED WITH INSPIRATION | Love, Maisie | www.lovemaisie.com

Well, that’s a bit of a weird title isn’t it. If you’re a creative type, the chances are that you totally understand what I mean. I’m one of those really annoying people that will find inspiration wherever I go. I’m the friend that will stop to take a million photos every five minutes. My handbag is full of scraps of paper with little notes and reminders on and I own more notebooks than I ever thought humanly possible.

You’d think with all this inspiration and ideas floating around in my life that I’d be able to create content every single day, but sadly, this isn’t the case and I’ll tell you why.

Last week I had a really BIG idea, like business venture big. I’m super excited about it but I’ve also decided not to delve into it too much here on the blog until it’s closer to being finished. That’s besides the point though. The point is that I’ve now got so many plans and ideas for this project in my mind, that I’m feeling super overwhelmed by them. I’ve done the obvious thing here, which is write out all my ideas into notebooks, but I’m still feeling quite overwhelmed by it.

The next obvious thing you might think would be to.. not do it? But I really want to do this project. I say that it was last week that I had the idea, but it’s an idea that’s been in the back of my mind for about a year now. So the overwhelm isn’t being brought on by pressure or anything like that, so not doing it wouldn’t make me feel better.

As well as that, I’ve also been brain storming a whole load of blog content ideas. Yes, blogging is my hobby, but in the past 12 months it’s also become a source of income for me and my family. Of course, I’m super thankful for this, but I do sometimes worry that one day my content won’t be “viable” anymore or that no one will want to read it or work with me. So when it comes to actually writing blog posts, I can feel overwhelmed by all the ideas that I’ve pre thought out. I know that probably sounds backwards, but what I mean is that I that I struggle to pick one idea and go with it, because my brain is already thinking about the next piece of content.. and the next one.

Feeling overwhelmed by inspiration | Love, Maisie | www.lovemaisie.com

The more I write on this topic, the more that I worry I’m coming across ungrateful. I’m very grateful to be in a position where my hobby can also contribute towards supporting my family financially. But I honestly think that being a creative person in this day and age is tougher than it’s ever been.

I don’t believe that my content is perfect, but I do believe that I am a perfectionist. Of course, everyone’s perception of perfection is different, but to me, whenever I put out content, it’s content that I have poured my heart and soul into. I think this is where my overwhelm stems from. The strive for perfection maybe? The desire to share things exactly how they are in my mind. It’s like when an artist draws a portrait, that’s what I want my writing to be like. A portrait of words. I want to share the stories and ideas from my mind, to the world, exactly how they appear in my brain.

I’ve already touched upon why giving up isn’t an option, but I can’t really tell you what my final thoughts are on this whole subject. I’d be lying if I said that I hadn’t thought about it, but it’s not what I want to do, I know that much for sure. You may or may not have noticed that I’ve sort of taking a back seat with blogging over the past week and that has certainly helped things. Long term, I’m not sure how exactly I’m going to fight this overwhelming feeling.

I’d love to know if you’ve ever felt overwhelmed by inspiration? What did you find helped you feel less overwhelmed? I’d love to know!

21 Comments

1. February 28, 2018 / 12:40 pm

Loved this post & I understand as I’m feeling like this right now. 🙂

• February 28, 2018 / 9:06 pm

Thank you! But sorry to hear that you feel like this too, it’s a toughy isn’t it! x

2. Clara
    February 28, 2018 / 1:36 pm

When I’m overwhelmed by ideas I like to go to the cinema! I love going to the BFI in South Bank where they show old films and, most times, I pretty much have the whole place to myself! I find my mind steps back from all the overwhelming thoughts but still gets creatively involved with the film. By the time the film is over, I’m normally inspired, and realise how to carry out my ideas! It saved me (several times) last year when I was doing my final project for my undergrad course!

• February 28, 2018 / 9:05 pm

Wowee thanks lovely, such a good idea! I’ll have to find something similar that I can do up this way! xx

3. February 28, 2018 / 3:09 pm

I get this ALL THE TIME! I’ve had two full days at home on my own (without Violet!) to blog and haven’t done half of the things I wanted to as I almost feel overwhelmed by all the different ideas, I can’t actually action any of them! Argh, so frustrating!

• February 28, 2018 / 9:05 pm

It’s so hard isn’t it, it sometimes feels like an impossible battle! x

4. Rosa
    February 28, 2018 / 6:02 pm

I get this way all the time. I have a million and one different ideas and just start to get overwhelmed by the whole thing.

• February 28, 2018 / 9:04 pm

It’s tough isn’t it! x

5. March 1, 2018 / 2:51 pm

I can get so overwhelmed especially when it comes to blogging. I have so many ideas and want it all to be perfect and when it isn’t I freak out!

6. March 1, 2018 / 3:09 pm

This post made me feel inspired by your inspiration haha, is that even a thing? I know what you mean, sometimes I can’t articulate my thoughts into words probably which frustrates me. Also with you on the 101 notebooks!

7. March 1, 2018 / 6:32 pm

I get this too – where you’re so excited and have so many plans that you don’t even know where to begin! I’m really keen to see what you’ve come up with 🙂 xx

Jessie | allthingsbeautiful-x

8. March 1, 2018 / 7:05 pm

I get this too – there is just so much i want to do but there doesnt seem enough time for me to do it! I get frustrated with not being able to do everything and then worry that im doing too much lol

9. March 1, 2018 / 8:30 pm

You’ve got to carry on with whatever this big idea is because I’m ITCHING to find out what it is Maisie! I too get frustrated with all my blog post ideas I have but never seem to be able to complete because I get frazzled!

Much love, Caitylis x x

10. March 1, 2018 / 10:12 pm

I feel like this all the time when I have so many ideas. I tend to write them down in a notebook or make the posts on my WordPress admin page so I don’t forget about them. If I need a bit of a break then I tend to close my laptop for half a day and get out of the house. I hope this helps 🙂 xx

Yasmina | The July Journal

11. March 1, 2018 / 10:46 pm

Yes all the time. I have so much going on in my head sometime it’s come out in rambles . But I completely understand.

12. March 1, 2018 / 11:00 pm

I can totally understand this, sometimes I have so many ideas and I don’t know which one to do first! Other times I wish I could have any source of inspo though, it can go both ways! x

13. March 2, 2018 / 7:38 am

I feel like this quite often, and just feel like I have so many ideas but not enough time!

Good luck to you!

14. March 2, 2018 / 12:42 pm

Love this post! Can totally relate! x

15. March 5, 2018 / 10:08 am

completely understand where you are coming from, so many wonderful ideas and nowhere to put them.

16. March 5, 2018 / 10:49 am

Girl I get like this a lot, A LOT. But I have learnt I have to keep an idea at bay for a while before acting on it because I have a tendency to take on too much! x